This is like a classic BLT only better and 100% plant based. We top the Lightlife Plant-Based Burger with Lightlife Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips for the ideal bacon substitute, plus a homemade simple plant-based mayonnaise made from cashews. Finish it off with a slice of juicy summer tomato, lettuce, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper and serve on toasted whole grain buns.
4 Lightlife Plant-Based Burgers
1 package Lightlife Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips
4 whole grain burger buns
1 beefsteak or heirloom tomato, sliced into ¼-inch slices
4–8 pieces butter, Boston bib, or romaine lettuce
¼ cup plant-based cashew mayo (see Plant-Based Cashew Mayo recipe in Toronto Plant-based Peameal Sandwich recipe)
Freshly cracked black pepper
- Grill Lightlife Burgers per package instructions.
- Cook the Lightlife Tempeh Strips according to the package instructions, pan fried with a moderate amount of oil until crispy.
- Toast the buns on the grill, about 30 to 60 seconds, or in a toaster. Arrange 4 slices on a platter and set the other 4 aside.
- Place one burger patty on each bottom slice. Top each patty with 1–2 slices tomato, 1–2 pieces of lettuce, and 2–3 slices of Lightlife Tempeh Strips.
- Spread 1 tablespoon plant-based cashew mayo on each of the remaining slices of bread. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if desired, and top each burger. Slice burger in half.