Toronto’s signature sandwich is the Peameal sandwich, which features slices of cured lean pork loin that has been rolled in cornmeal. Originally, it was crusted with crushed yellow peas, which is how it got its name. Between the crunch of the cornmeal-crusted Lightlife Plant-Based Burger patty, the zip of the plant-based mayo and dijon mustard combo and the freshness of the tomato, this sandwich really does have it all as is. But you can still do as Torontans do and add a fried egg for a perfect breakfast sandwich
½ cup cornmeal
½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 beefsteak or heirloom tomato, sliced into ¼-inch slices
¼ cup plant-based cashew mayo, recipe below
2–3 tablespoons dijon mustard
4 brioche buns
- Whisk together cornmeal, cracked black pepper, and salt.
- Brush the Lightlife Burgers on both sides with canola oil. Press the burgers into the cornmeal mixture until evenly coated on all sides.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a medium sauté pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add the patties. Cook for 3 minutes; flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle a few pinches of sea salt on patties.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of plant-based cashew mayo on each of the bottom buns. Top with a cornmeal crusted burger. Top each patty with 1–2 tomato slices.
- Spread 1–2 teaspoons dijon mustard on the inside of the top bun and top each burger.
Plant-Based Cashew Mayo
Yields 1 ½–2 cups mayo
1 ½ cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours or overnight
½ cup olive oil
2–3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons warm water, divided
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- Put cashews, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, and mustard powder in a blender.
- Purée. Stop and scrape down sides. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if mixture is not coming together or is still very dry. Purée until smooth. It should be thick but spreadable.
- Taste and add salt, ¼ teaspoon at a time. Purée again. Taste and adjust seasoning. Repeat if necessary.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.